ROASTED CHICKEN WITH PEARS AND PARSNIPS
1 Large Parsnip cut up
1 Large Turnip cut up
2 Large Onions cut into wedges
2 T Red Wine Vinegar
2 T Olive Oil
Several sprigs of fresh Thyme
2 T chopped Parsley
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 lbs total of Chicken Pieces, I always use thighs
1 T Honey
3 Large Cooking Pears, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large bowl toss the root vegetables and onions with vinegar and 1 T of the olive oil. Add some of the thyme and salt and pepper. Place this on a large rimmed baking sheet or a large casserole dish.
- In a small bowl combine the parsley and some more thyme, salt and pepper. Lift the skin off the chicken without completely removing it and put the parsley mixture between the skin and the meat. Season the outsides with the mixture as well.
- Place the chicken down the center of the dish or baking sheet and place the vegetables around it.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile place te honey in a small bowl and whisk 1 T of olive oil into it.
- After 30 minutes remove the dish from the oven and drizzle the honey mixture over the chicken. Place the pears around the chicken and return to the oven.
- Roast for an additional 30 minutes or until internal temperature is 175F.